Friday, November 7, 2014

Behind the Scenes of Charlie's Dirt Day - PART 1 - storyboards



To kick things off, I'd like to share my initial thumb nail sketches and storyboards for my soon-to-be-released children's book, Charlie's Dirt Day, written by Andrew Larsen and published by Fitzhenry & Whiteside.

The first thing I did when I got the manuscript was read it over many times, making notes in the margins and jotting down ideas and images that came to mind. Once I had a good feel for the story, I started to think about pacing, how the story would unfold, and began the process of breaking up the text. I found it helpful to cut up the actual manuscript so that it was easier to move around the blocks of text.

Once I was satisfied, I started making little thumbnail drawings to explore different ways of illustrating each page. Having the entire book laid out on one piece of paper made it easy to see how the illustrations related to each other. I worked on the thumbnails until I felt like there was enough variety to keep the spreads interesting.

There's quite a lot of work that goes into the planning of a picture book before the drawing of larger and more detailed sketches can begin.

Follow my hashtag, #CharliesDirtDay.

No comments: