Friday, February 8, 2013

alice au pays des merveilles


I had been coveting this book for a very long time and finally treated myself to it just recently.  It's a gorgeous, hardcover,  French edition of Alice in Wonderland, beautifully illustrated by Rébecca Dautremer, and published by Gautier Languereau.

I first became aware of the art of Rébecca Dautremer while traveling in Europe a couple of years ago. Her work is smooth, luminous and highly detailed.  I'm usually not a big fan of more realistic illustrations, but Rébecca's work is so beautiful and luminous that I'm completely taken in by it. I especially admire her use of colour, negative space and composition. As you'll see in some of the photos below, the way she chose to crop her images is absolutely brilliant.

Considering how many lovely versions of this particular story are already in existence, I find it really impressive that Rébecca was able to provide a unique take on it. 

You can see more of her wonderful illustrations here. I also found these videos of her painting images for this books here and here.















No comments: