Things have been a little quiet on the blog as of late, but believe me when I say they've been quite busy in the studio. The picture book that I'm illustrating, Bye, Bye, Butterflies, is coming along nicely. I'm currently painting spreads and I look forward to sharing some of the finished, full color images down the road.
For now, I'm going to share another sketch.
I really struggled to find a solution for this particular spread. I didn't want to be literal and draw exactly what the text said so it was quite a challenge to come up with something that was a bit abstract but still appropriate. Probably because it was such a struggle, when I finally came up with my solution I was especially happy with the image.
Here it is:
It might not look like much here, but try to imagine a bunch of colorful and interesting caterpillars marching across the page in this lovely shape.
Unfortunately, this is the only place where it will see the light of day. Once I submitted my sketches to my editor, we realized that we needed to shuffle some things around and the only way to make it work was to combine this spread with another one. It broke my heart to have to change it as I really enjoyed the graphic shape moving across the page, but it was all for the greater good. The spread at the climax of the story now works much better because of this change.
This is what the new spread will look like: