Tuesday, October 11, 2011

picture book - migrant

One of my favorite illustrator's, Isabelle Arsenault, has been nominated for a Governor General Literary Award for her illustrations in the book Migrant, written by Maxine Trottier.  I'm really excited by this because Migrant is one of the most beautiful and perfect picture books I've ever seen.  The story is so lovely and the illustrations are the perfect compliment, substituting animals as metaphors for the characters and telling another story than the text does.  The images are so well drawn and the style is very unique and beautiful.  I love her use of a limited palette and the way she combines collage with graphite, watercolor and colored pencil.  And check out those amazing end papers.

I picked up a copy last spring and it's one of my favorite books in my collection.  Here are a few photos:





















I'd like to see who else is nominated for picture book illustration, but the link doesn't seem to be working at the moment...

No comments: